The Pew Internet and American Life Project just released results of a new survey regarding the use of tech devices. While some of this may not be that surprising, it is interesting to see how we love gadgets as a culture.
- 85% of American adults own a cellphone
- Desktop computers are most popular with the 35-65 age group
- 70% of Millennials own a laptop, 54% own a desktop machine
- Almost half of all adults own an iPod or other MP3 player
- 74% of those 18-34 own an iPod or other MP3 player with only 56% of those 35-46 owning one
- 63% of those 18-46 own a game console
- 5% of all adults own an e-reader
- 4% own an iPad or other tablet
Interestingly, 9% of adults polled do not own ANY of the devices listed, but that number jumped to 43% of adults age 75 and older.
Clearly, we are (especially in the younger age groups) a culture that loves our gadgets. I hope that we as Christians, will continue to strive to learn to use these devices to spread the saving message of the cross and strengthen the church throughout this land.